I knew and followed sarahjeanalex long before I ever met Sarah Jean Alexander, and in fact she’s I think the first person I knew exclusively from Tumblr who I became friends with IRL. At the time, I think 2011 or 2012, I had just finished my first Hey Teebs zine and jkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjk aka Adam J Kurtz told me about his poet BFF in Baltimore who was making work of a similar tenor as mine. What started was a beautiful admiration of each other from afar: I read her stuff hungrily and sent her zines, and we met once in the city when she and Adam came to a reading I organized. She said she was planning a move to Brooklyn, and introduced me to lk-shaw and gabbybess before they were I think going to a Tao Lin reading at Powerhouse books? Yes, that’s it. Anyway now she lives here and we see each other at readings all the time and every time I see her IRL it makes me feel a little nostalgic and very very happy. Her first book of poetry and short stories, Wildlives, is forthcoming from Big Lucks Books in spring 2015. She has lived in Maryland, Alabama, South Korea, North Carolina, and New York, and has maintained a healthy fear of dead fish her entire life. She tweets at @sarahjeanalex
1. What’s the last song you listened to?
- Last week I saw Mineral play the 2nd show of their reunion tour at the Bowery Ballroom. This isn’t the most recent song I listened to, but here’s a video from the show of ‘Gloria’ which was extremely amazing.
2.What did you want to be when you were ten?
- When I was ten years old I wanted to be a squirrel.
3. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
- I’ve learned everything worth knowing in my life from Blair Waldorf.
4. What’s the last thing you were obsessed with?
- I’m obsessed with so much.The fried chicken at Commodore in Williamsburg.
- This illustration my friend Nick Iluzada did for Oprah magazine on the power of harnessing sleep:
- KOOL A.D.’s twitter
- This picture of a young Keanu Reeves:
5. Give me some poems or poets you’ve been taken with, recently—
- Lately I’ve mostly been reading novels. The last few I’ve read are Women by Chloe Caldwell, Nobody Is Ever Missing by Catherine Lacey, Crystal Eaters by Shane Jones, How To Catch A Coyote by Christie Crutchfield, and Harry Potters 1-4. I am excited as hell to read Stacey Teague’s new book of poetry, Takahē, from Scrambler books.
some people will actively try to percieve you in the way they will like to
seems fine, ive kind of come to the conclusion that i have no real personality
seems like my brand is just how i act around people all the time
i want my writing to be a part of people’s lives
like an estranged father trying to get back in touch
i want people to be mutually in remorse like the anniversary of a tragic event after reading one of my short stories
i am in a shitty spot currently with creativity, but that doesn’t mean i cant really do anything
i remember i didnt write for 6 months once
seems like totally fucked
im not willing to waste my time anymore
im not interested if i feel creative or not
im not interested in the final outcome of my writing
it doesnt seem to matter, i dont really see the correlation there
ive never felt so confident in my work before
i have something coming out on 22nd century lit on Oct 2
seems forever from now lol
Change is scary but I guess most things are pretty scary. I just want to do the right thing all the time and I want to be happy but today I came home to my dog who jumps really high when I walk in the door. I fed him and now I’m gonna walk him and he’s a good thing and I have some really great things and I need to stay focused on that, and on the fact that everything is always going to be
Anonymous said: Are you Youtube com/penguinz0
i cant decide if this is someone advertising their youtube channel or not
is this person me
omg i wish this was me